ER vs. Urgent Care
What’s The Difference Between River Oaks Emergency Room and Urgent Care Centers?
The patients we treat at River Oaks Emergency Room can easily be confused about the services we provide. Many of them are familiar with neighborhood urgent care centers and are surprised to learn that River Oaks Emergency Room can provide a much higher level of care than they expect. This leads to some common questions that we receive: When should a patient go to an urgent care clinic and when should a patient go to River Oaks Emergency Room? What is the difference between the two, and what medical services can each offer?
River Oaks Emergency Room differ from urgent care centers in that we are able to offer a much higher quality of care. Urgent care centers are only designed to handle minor and non-life threatening medical complaints—a bit like a doctor’s office with extended hours. Urgent care facilities are often staffed by physician assistants or nurse practitioners who are unable to treat critical or life- threatening emergencies. If a patient goes to an urgent care center with a life-threatening emergency, the patient will be redirected to EMS or 911.
In contrast, River Oaks Emergency Room is equipped to handle all manner of critical and life-threatening conditions. By law, our facilities are staffed and equipped just like hospital-based ERs, offering on-site imaging services like CT scans, x-rays, and ultrasound. We also offer in-house laboratory services and are fully staffed by emergency physicians and experienced ER nurses who can handle a full range of emergencies 24/7.
Before you make a decision that can impact your health, see how River Oaks Emergency Room differs from urgent care clinics and even hospital based emergency rooms.
Freestanding ERs vs. Hospital Based ERs
River Oaks Emergency Room is a freestanding emergency room. That means our facilities are all complete, 24-hour emergency rooms licensed by the state to provide emergency services to patients at the same level as hospital-based emergency rooms. River Oaks Emergency Room offers the same capacity to treat critical and life-threatening injuries as a hospital emergency room.
Freestanding ERs like River Oaks Emergency Room is superior to hospital ERs in the following ways:
- We are conveniently located in your neighborhood.
- We offer free, easy parking.
- Our ERs have little to no wait time.
- We treat every patient with the compassion, dignity, and respect they deserve.
- River Oaks Emergency Room often bills patients at a lower cost and make every effort to work with patients with no insurance.
Advantages of River Oaks Emergency Room
When you visit any of our immediate care facilities, you will experience the following:
- 24/7 operation
- Board-certified emergency room doctors
- VIP care
- Free and easy parking and building access
- Uncrowded waiting rooms
- Full CT scan and radiology services
- Full laboratory services with instant results
- Cardiopulmonary monitoring, nebulizer treatments, and airway management
- Intravenous fluids and medications
- Overnight observation capacity
- Texas state licensing and credentialing
- 30-minute on-site lab testing results
- Speed and efficiency
- Fast, efficient admittance to inpatient hospital services